History
History
History
History
History
History
History
History
History
History
History
History
Home / Pages

History

PT. Kaltim Methanol Industri is a petrochemical industry producing methanol located in industrial area of PT. Kaltim Industrial Estate (a subsidiary company of PT. Pupuk Kalimantan Timur) Bontang, about 110 kms to the north of Samarinda city, the capital of East Kalimantan province.

PT. Kaltim Methanol Industri (KMI) was established under The Republic of Indonesia Law of January 25th, 1991 as a Domestic Investment Company (PMDN). This status was, on December 9th, 1997, changed to Foreign Investment Company (PMA) with Nissho Iwai Corporation as the largest shareholder (85%). PT. Humpuss owns 10%  and Daicel Chemical Singapore Pte Ltd owns another 5% of the share. The merging of Nissho Iwai Corporation and Nichimen Corporation becoming Sojitz Corporation on April 1st, 2004 made Nissho Iwai Corporation’s share handed over to Sojitz corporation.

Methanol plant utilizes natural gas, as its raw material, from Badak Gas Field Center supplied by Production Sharing Contractors of Pertamina, namely Total Fina Elf Indonesie, Vico Indonesia and Chevron. The natural gas was first piped on January 23rd, 1997 continued with plant commissioning and then started up on March 31st, 1997. Following the first drop of raw methanol on February 29th, 1998 and Pure Methanol Grade AA (purity min 99,85%) on the March 8th, 1998,  the plant commercially began its operation obtaining the installed capacity of 660.000 MTPY on July 29th, 2000.

The strategic port location that lies at latitude 00° – 10’-34” north and longitude 117°-20’-36” east has made PT. Kaltim Methanol Industri accessible to its customers, particularly those in Asia Region.

To support methanol loading activities,  KMI has its own jetty facilities under  the Minister of Transportation Decree No.SK-52/AL.003/PHB/1998, ISPS Code No. 02-0014-DV. The jetty has a capacity of 30.000 DWT with the length of 206 meters and the pool of 11,50 m LWS. It has two loading arms whose capacity is 1300 MT/hour each.

The technology used is methanol synthesis process with low pressure licensed by Lurgi Germany. Its operation is supported by 200 workers skilled in their fields.

The product of  PT.Kaltim Methanol Industri has been marketed in various places both domestic and overseas. 70% of the product overseas is marketed by Sojitz Corporation, and the remaining 30% of the product is marketed in Indonesia by PT. Humpuss.

Methanol purchasers are industries such as formaldehyde, acetic acid, MTBE and others  that use methanol as their raw material. 80% of the methanol purchasers in Indonesia are industries in the fields of formaldehyde that produce adhesives for plywood and other wood processing industries.


Share Holder

Jakarta Office

Menara Standard Chartered, 20TH FL, Jl. Prof. Dr. Satrio No.164 Jakarta 12930, Indonesia
Telp. 62-21-5794-6400,
Fax. 62-21-5794-6410

Bontang Office

Bontang Plant Site, East Kalimantan, Indonesia, P.O. Box 218, Komplek Pupuk Kaltim, Bontang 75313
Telp. 62-548-41394,
Fax. 62-548-41395, 41136